Wednesday 3 March 2010

New Tattoo

I got a new tattoo a few weeks back. I would have posted a photo sooner but it took a while to heal (it was nice and dry and scabby for a week). I've posted photos and meanings behind all of my other tattoos so thought I'd do the same with this one.
First off, I didn't intend for it to be this big (it wraps around a lot so getting a good pic is really hard) but I'm glad it came out this large. I think the bigger the better with tattoos and I want to get my sleeve finished before I get married next year so it just means less space is left to cover!
If you can't tell what it is...and I really hope you can, it is in fact an anchor with a banner wrapped round it reading "Mayday". First and foremost it's a Gallows reference. Their song Abandon Ship is my favourite from their first album and it starts with the words "Mayday, mayday". I chat a lot on here about how I love Gallows so I won't go into it too much but they perform with such passion and put out the most mind blowing music and I just wanted to get a tattoo to pay homage to that. I'm planning a gypsy head with "Misery" written beneath it next as that's my favourite song from the second album and it has a lot of personal meaning to me.
The anchor and text are also a reference to the fact my grandfather went down on a ship in the second world war, drowning somewhere near Russia. I love old school sailor tattoos and I think this one works really well with my sailor swallows which I also got, in part, for him.

A couple of other ideas I have for my sleeve are a cartoon pin-up Silk Spectre and a bubblegum pink diamond with SPQR written with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment