Tuesday 17 August 2010

Day 13 – Do you think there should be an age to get tattoos/piercings without the consent of a parent?

The age to legally get a tattoo or piercing should be 18 and parental consent shouldn't play a part.

People get tattooed and pierced without thinking it through at the best of times and I think teenagers often want to make a statement and don't think of the consequences to their bodies. Younger teenagers can't have piercings at school meaning they have to remove the jewellery and healing time is disrupted and infection is likely. At least a piercing can be removed, although I doubt many people think of the scarring they'll have, but tattoos are for life and from my experience first tattoos on teenagers are often terrible (mainly due to lack of money).

I adore my tattoos and piercing but I'll always have scars on my mouth when I eventually take out my snake bites, my ears lobes will never stretch down to a 'normal' size and my body will be covered in tattoos until the day I die. That's a choice I've made and I've always thought "will I want this tattoo/piercing on my wedding day?" before I've had anything done to myself. Younger teenagers should think about the longevity of what they're doing and also realise their personality and taste will change a lot over the next few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment